Two sisters, who were kidnapped by gunmen from their residence inKarmo, Abuja, last week, have been released.
The girls, Ejura and Unekwu Opaluwa, were said to have been abandoned by their captors at a location from where they found their way home on Tuesday.
It was not however clear if the family paid the N150m ransom that was demanded by their captors or not.
Security sources said they were released by their abductors following the pressure placed on them by security agencies.
PUNCH Metro had reported that the two sisters, Ejura and Unekwu Opaluwa, who were 23 and 19 years respectively, were kidnapped in the evening of Sunday, June 8.
The victims’ father, Samson, is a director of the Federal Ministry of Work.
The suspected gunmen had made away with the two ladies after they had raided the entire house and dispossessed the family of their valuables.
The attackers were said to have left with the two girls when they did not get as much money as they expected. The family had reported the case at the Life Camp Police Division in Abuja.
An uncle to the girls, Mr. Amade Opaluwa, had said the family was doing everything possible to ensure the release of the girls, adding that the kidnappers seemed unwilling to negotiate the ransom.
“The kidnappers have become very harsh lately in their conversations with the family. They are still insisting on the N150m ransom. Unfortunately, they do not allow us to talk to the girls. And also, we are not able to call them on the telephones, only they can call us,” he had stated.
The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Altine Daniel, on Tuesday confirmed the release of the girls, but said investigation was ongoing.
Source: Punch Newspaper